Monday, June 4, 2012

'Control Point' by Myke Cole

Guest Reviewer: Anastasia Pergakis
3 Stars Military Fantasy/Paranormal


Website: http://www.mykecole.com



I was so excited to read this book, I made sure to have plenty of coffee on hand so I could read late into the night. I had trouble reading through the first couple dozen pages, as I tried to get into the story and familiarize myself with who was who. Once I got past that however, the story picked up a nice pace, and I was able to discern one character from another.


The world created by Mr. Cole held my attention throughout the book. I did feel some parts were missing or not explained enough, but I hope that in future books those questions are answered. I think some description was traded for action, and the story was definitely full of action.


Despite how much I did love the premise of the story and will read future books, I have to say that the main character, Oscar Britton, annoyed me to no end. At first, it was understandable, even relatable, as Oscar first discovered his magical abilities and began his new training that he didn't know where he fit. Was he "army" or "rebel”? Could he live with his new life or not? But after a while, it just became annoying. I wanted him to make up his mind! And in the end, even though he took some sort of action, I don't think he ever really decided to do it, it was just how he reacted to the circumstances. So, even at the last scene, I wasn't sure where Oscar stood in the grand scheme of things on a personal level, although it was obvious where he stood based on the circumstances he was in (physically speaking).


The ending was slightly disappointing as after all the reading through training and missions up to that point, it was wrapped up in a few pages. Don't get me wrong, it was action packed and tense - I was on the "edge of my seat" as it were, but then all of a sudden it was over. I scrolled back a few pages to make sure I didn't miss something as I was certain I had. I understand this might be the first in a series. It wasn't a bad ending, just abrupt.


The fight scenes were really where this book shined. The amount of detail made me see each strike, each block, each magical projection. I was impressed with how the scenes were handled, knowing each character's movement without ever taking me out of the scene with too many adjectives or body parts to keep track of.


CONTROL POINT was a fun way to pass my evening hours and I don't regret picking it up for a read. I enjoyed it despite the hiccups I mentioned above. I'd look forward to more from Mr. Cole in the future.


**A free copy of this book was given by the author for review, without guarantee of a review.**


 Anastasia V. Pergakis is the author of Cleanse Fire: The Kinir Elite Chronicles Book 1.  Follow the Kinir Elite as they track down a traitor and find more than they bargained for. This military fantasy has edge-of-your-seat action, epic battles, suspense, and a bit of romance too!

To learn more visit:Author Website: http://avpergakis.com
Book Site: http://kinirelite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment