Saturday, September 17, 2011

Personal Demons by Lisa Derochers

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance—-even her closest friends—-and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.
What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy—-all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.
But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.


REVIEW
I will be honest, this is a book that has been on my shelf for a while. I picked it up on one of my book shopping spree simply because of the cover. Yesterday I had a yard sale at the house and figured what better time to get some reading done right? So as I scanned my shelf, this book spoke to me and said, hey grab me to read while you wait for people to stop by. So I went out to sit and wait for people armed with my book, my coffee and my phone. (gotta stay in touch with anyone who calls right?) I quickly got engrossed in the book and hated the disturbance of my first customer, I regretfully put the book down, but picked it back up as soon as the person turned to go back to their car. This is how it went all day and even a few times I simply smiled and greeted the yard sale customers and then quickly dove back into the book. Maybe not the best sales strategy but I just couldn't put the book down. 

I got caught up in Frannie's struggle with her "gift" and the fact that she had to forgive herself for her "past demons" before she could move on with her life and what she was destined for. I kept turning the page to find out if she would choose "bad boy" demon Luc or "good boy" angel Gabe. Who would win her over, would she be destined for heaven or hell. And then the turn, twist of the book took me by surprise and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling at the same time. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story is a well written page turner in the YA genre and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a quick easy read. The author brings forth a good obstacle that Frannie has to get over that many people can sympathize/empathize with. It makes you sit back and think, could I get past it, could I forgive myself, how would I have handled it.

We give this book 4 stars and recommend it to our readers. Great thing is you can get it in paperback or ebook format. Keep your eye out for sales, and add this one to your TBR pile!

1 comment:

  1. i love this book! met the author - super nice :D yet to read the second book though

    ReplyDelete